Hickory Farms

HFCA Board Meeting Minutes

November 9, 2021

Hickory Farms Community Association Board of Directors

November 9, 2021     7pm—9:00 pm

Virtual Meeting via Zoom

Attendance: Sean Coleman – President; Jim Bever - Vice President; Carlie Mensen - Secretary; Ken Sorg – Treasurer; Melissa Stark - Common Area Coordinator; Telah Jackson - Member-at-Large, Pam Barrett – ACC, William Berg - Member-at-Large

  • Call to order at 7:05               
    • Approval of the October 2021 Minutes board and annual meeting – Motion by Jim, 2nd by Melissa; all vote yes-approved
  • Old Business  
    • Letter to County regarding 4339 Farm House Lane – county responded and they own the underground piping, but not the above ground sidewalk therefore the sidewalk should stay in the Capitol Reserve Study (note update in January 2022 minutes
    • Friends of Tree Award Winner
  • ACC Report on Inspections from June-August
  • Status of letters to homeowners and responses to date – postponed until next meeting
  • Treasurer’s Report
    • Posted monthly on Slack once received
    • 2021 Budget is on track to be at or under budget
    • Discussed the plan for collecting dues and potentially transitioning to a formalized budget tool/software in the future
  • Zoom Account Renewal
    • Discussed the options for upgrading the current Zoom account that expires December 12th, 2021 and the need to have more than one person to act as the host which would require a higher level of membership
    • Motion to cancel Zoom as of 12 December 2021 and evaluate alternatives by Telah, 2nd by Melissa; all vote yes-approved
  • Neighborhood Watch Restart
    • Jim will be sending out a note to prior neighborhood watch volunteers to gauge interest in resuming the neighborhood watch after pausing in 2020 due to Covid.
  • Branding Contract status
    • Narrowed down 18 logo options down to 2-3 and will post on Slack for the board to vote.
  • Common Areas
    • Motion to order 25 yards of mulch, supplies, and food/drinks for volunteers not to exceed $750 by Melissa, 2nd by Jim; all vote yes-approved
      • Volunteer opportunity to spread mulch tentatively planned for 9am on Saturday, November 13, 2021
    • Quotes obtained for tree services 
      • Motion for Precision Tree to clean up brush pile and dead limbing the locust and cherry tree in the upper commons for $800 by Melissa, 2nd by Jim; all vote yes-approved
    • Discussed the process for homeowners to request tree removal or maintenance for trees on HOA common property and Resource Protection Areas (RPA); discussed seeking an arborist’s opinion of risk to homeowners or property with no action required if there is no risk identified and the need to obtain confirmation that the tree is on HFCA property prior to taking action if needed.
      • There was consensus that the Common Areas Committee should seek professional surveying services, if such are required to determine whether HFCA property is involved.
  • Lower Common Area path
    • Non-board member volunteers have committed to participating in an Ad Hoc committee to begin looking at options for remediating the lower portion (~1/3) of the lower commons paved walking path. Estimate starting the committee in January 2022 to provide options to the board. Jim volunteered to coordinate the effort.
  • Attorney opinion re: HOAs ability to levy fines
    • Motion to gain a point of clarification from our attorney (in writing) on the ability to levy fines with reference to the case file prior boards have used to support prior decisions regarding fines. Attorney fees not to exceed $1000 without further board approval by Ken, 2nd from Jim; 7 yes, 1 no-approved
  • Neighborhood electronics recycling opportunity
    • Continue discussion on Slack
  • New Business
    • No board meeting in December
  • Newsletter
    • Articles due by end of day on Dec. 1st, feedback required by end of day on Dec. 3rd.
  • Motion to Adjourn at 9:03 by Sean, 2nd by Telah; all vote yes-approved